Culver City History (cont'd)

Child-actor Fatty Arbuckle enlisted the help of studio artists to open his Plantation Café across the street from La Ballona School. Other noted nightspots included the Casa Manana, Gladys' Hot Spot, and the King's Tropical Inn. The City boundaries were so irregular they often cut through buildings. Cash registers were equipped with wheels so that police raids could be thwarted by changing from Los Angeles to Culver City jurisdiction and vice versa.
Ince’s Triangle studio was purchased by Samuel Goldwyn in 1918, then merged to become Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in 1924. In the following decade MGM acquired five back lots. Location filming was the norm, so locals were not surprised to see Stan Laurel dressed in kilts on Main Street for PUTTING PANTS ON PHILIP. Oliver Hardy was seen hanging out of a City Hall window as they filmed COUNTY HOSPITAL, and Spanky and the OUR GANG rascals engaged in their antics with Pete the Pup for many films.
Locals enjoyed participating as extras in movies like BEN HUR, and THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. It is fitting that the official city seal adopted in 1936 reads, "Culver City, the Heart of Screenland."
Culver City prospered and grew until World War II, when a moratorium was declared on building and annexations. Hal Roach Studios made military training films, with the help of many noted film professionals like Ronald Reagan and Alan Ladd. At the end of the war, the Hayden Industrial Tract was built. Many buildings in the Tract have recently been renovated by renowned architect, Eric Owen Moss.

The Cotton Club.

An aerial view shows the many studios and busy boulevards of Culver City.